Saturday, May 28, 2011

145.47 is off the air!!

145.47 is OFF THE AIR!! 

 

Late Friday Afternoon, I was on .94 when a fellow ham asked me why they could not get in to 145.47. I was surprised (based on his location), but then imagine MY surprise when I couldn’t access it either!! Today, I made a hurried trip to Cross Mountain to see what was wrong. I thought I had the repeater repaired and in fact a couple of QSO’s were made and then it failed again. The problem seems to be in the GE MASTR II power supply for .47. When it has been on the air for a while, the DC voltage drops to 2 volts (well below the 13-14 volts the repeater needs).  It appears that the AC transformer is overheating and opening up.

 

The Good News: I have a spare power supply.

 

The Bad News: I ran out of time today, as it is a 1 hour trip (one way) to the repeater site.  I will try to get the new power supply to the site tomorrow or (at the latest) Monday, which happens to be an off-day for my employer.

 

 

Speaking of Monday...how many of you have a Veteran in your family? Perhaps a relative...in my case my grandfather (Fred O. Berry, Sr.) served in World War II.  Even if you don’t have a veteran in your family, let us all remember that Memorial Day is a time for us to pause and remember the sacrifices that they made for our freedoms.  If they are still with you, tell your family member “Thank You.”   Make it from all of us. Freedom isn’t free. Many have paid with their lives. And that is why we remember on Memorial Day.

 

73 de Tim WB4GBI

 

Tim Berry WB4GBI

Chief Engineer

Citadel Broadcasting of Knoxville, TN

WIVK-FM   WNML  AM/FM   WNRX-FM  WOKI-FM

OFFICE: 865-212-4519 (leave a message, I will be paged)

FAX: 865-909-0821

check out my website at www.wb4gbi.com

 

Chief Engineer

Vol Radio Network

IMG College/University of Tennessee

 

No comments: