Thursday, August 7, 2008

ITS ON THE AIR!!

 

 

IT’S ON THE AIR!!!!

 

After almost a year of planning, purchasing, installing, connecting, tuning, configuring, spending, crying, praying,  site renting, grunting, more spending,  and just plain old hoping everything worked out,  IT’S ON THE AIR!!! 

 

Please look at the 146.73 web page when you get a chance. Josh McDaniel, KI4WWY, one of my co-workers, took the pictures that you see on the 146.73 web page.  He and Dave, KE4YBZ, assisted me on Wednesday, August 6th, in transporting the repeater on the mountain.  After 11 months, the dream has come true! 

 

Now, here’s the caveat…it has a duplexer problem. Despite the valiant efforts of Kevin, W4KEV, the duplexer is still struggling.  It has 11 db of loss on the receive side.  What does this mean?  A 3 db loss is considered to be half of the signal in question.  So you can imagine what an 11 db loss is now.   It’s only running 24 watts on the transmit side as well. The coverage ain’t too bad for 24 watts, huh? 

 

I am actively looking for another duplexer.  I hope to have one tuned up and installed as soon as time (and finances) allow.  I am right now over the $3,000 mark in my investment on 146.73. But to see the repeater return to the mountain after all that Sam, WB4HAP,  went through, it’s worth it. I am glad to see it through to completion.   It’s only going to get better!

 

Sam, this is for you. I hope I’m doing OK so far. J

 

73 de Tim WB4GBI

1 comment:

Robin said...

YAY!! Thanks so much Tim for all you do for Amateur Radio! I think it's doing great so far. I can hit it from the wrong side of a ridge in Union County! Woo-Hoo! Way to Go!!

73 de AJ4IJ